FOR BENJAMIN BANNEKER


Jacquez J. for Benjamin Banneker

Benjamin Banneker was a tobacco farmer, mathematician, and astronomer. In 1770 he met a man named George Elliot who was an astronomer. He let Benjamin use a telescope and read his astronomy books. In 1789 he became famous for successfully predicting a solar eclipse. After studying a pocket watch borrowed from a European trader, Benjamin Banneker was able to make his own clock that kept accurate time for the rest of his life. We are learning about many historical African Americans, but I chose Benjamin Banneker because he convinced Thomas Jefferson the almanac he wrote was as good as the ones written by people of any other race.

My name is Jacquez, I am 14 years old, and I go to Grover Washington Jr. Middle School. I like to spend time with my family and use computers. When I grow up I want to be a lawyer. Lawyers try to convince people that their client is right, and Benjamin Banneker convinced Thomas Jefferson that all races are equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment